Tuesday, August 19, 2014

As I was reading the news this morning, I read about the rioting taking place in Ferguson, Missouri and other places. I read about people rushing to enter the United States through the border with Mexico. I read about severe drought in much of north and south America. I read about natural disasters taking place throughout the world. Then, I read about the Ebola virus spreading across Africa and threatening to spread to other nations. I also read an opinion piece written by Kareem Abdul-Jabar on racism and class war. This caused me to think about the revelation given to Joseph Smith on December 25, 1832. (See D&C 87.) In that revelation, he states "after many days slaves shall rise up against their masters." We don't know what "many days" means, but it could easily be referring to rioting and rebelling that is taking place. Kareem Abdul-Jabar's opinion piece suggests that this really is not a race issue but more of an economy issue. I think I agree with him and it could be talking about all the people who have been oppressed by the rich and they are simply not willing to take it anymore. The revelation also talks about the "remnants who are left out of the land will martial themselves also and become exceeding angry and shall vex the Gentiles with sore vexation." This sounds to me like our time. The revelation talks of bloodshed, famine, earthquakes and other things. Looking at what he described and what I imagine can take place, we are in for some very scary times. Perhaps this revelation helps us to understand why we need to have food and supplies on hand. The Scripture also talks about "chastening hand on an Almighty God until the consumption decreed hath made a full end of all nations." Many people in this and other nations receive all they live on from the government. Will these governments no longer exist? Will we no longer receive medical aid and income benefits through our government? We need to be prepared because the revelation tells us this day "cometh quickly." That revelation also gives us hope and instructions for what we should do. It says "wherefore stand ye in holy places and be not moved until the day of the Lord come, for behold it cometh quickly saith the Lord." Annie and I talked about that this morning questioning where are those holy places. We know the Temple is a holy place but we can't always be there. Our churches are holy places but again we can't be there all the time. So, we believe we need to do everything possible to make our home an holy place where we can be safe.

1 comment:

suelly said...

I really appreciate your post. I've been watching reports about ISIS and have been thinking the same thing. It's so scary, but comforting to know we have a prophet and scriptures to counsel and guide us.