Friday, May 22, 2009

Mobility Scooter




A year ago today we purchased my mobility scooter here in Santiago. It has been a life saver in many ways. My ability to walk has gone down hill so much from the time we arrived here so there are many places we have been and seen because of that scooter. It also has been a great help in the temple. A year ago I was so afraid President Lyon would send me home after a serious fall. Rather he encouraged and helped me get a scooter so I could continue working in the temple.

Any time I walk any distance in the temple, I use the scooter. I used it when I supervise a baptism service. I sit on it while receiving people at the recommend desk. I even sit on it while officiating in endowment sessions. I get off for the few times I need to be on my feet but the scooter protects me from having to walk so much and so I have the energy to do the things that need to be done standing up.

The scooter has had a problem or two and we finally got them corrected today. There has been a knocking noise that were identified as wheel bearing, brakes, and transmission. We have taken it back to the shop six different times to get it fixed. Finally, this time, the manager asked me to write an email, in English, telling about the history and the problem so she could send it to the company headquarters in the United States. After reading my email, the company approved changing out the trans axle.

A year ago I could use the scooter for two or three days before recharging the batteries. I could ride it all day without a problem. Lately I have had to charge it twice a day. Last time I rode it down to Providencia, twelve blocks away, it barely had enough power to climb the slight incline of the ramp into our building. After receiving my email, they replaced the battery with a new one.

Elder Leavitt drove me over to pick up the scooter after our morning shift at the temple. I runs great and doesn't make a sound. It is like getting a new scooter on the one year anniversary of its purchase.

2 comments:

Tess said...

I'm so glad you got it fixed!

Mandie said...

Yeah!!! I bet it is like having a new one!